Sunday, October 21, 2012

Final Reflection - Class 4 Week 7

All good things come to an end. The end of my 4th class is here.


In what ways has this course helped you to develop your own technology skills as a professional teacher?
I cannot begin to explain how much this course has helped me develop my own technology skills. I loved this course because each week the application involved a new type of technology instead of the usual paper. This class took me outside of my comfort zone and forced me to become familiar with an use different kinds of technology that I probably would not have experimented with if it were not for this class. Although I already knew how to use a Blog and use it in my classroom, I am so much more comfortable using Blogs now because of the personal Blog I created for this course. I had absolutely zero knowledge on how to use or create a Wiki or a Podcast. Now, I know how to do both! I really feel like I am becoming a 21st century teacher because I know how to use and implement different types of Web 2.0 resources.

In what ways have you deepened your knowledge of the teaching and learning process?
Although I think it is common sense, this class really emphasized how much teaching has changed in the last years and how it has changed greatly in the past decade. Teachers no longer know everything. In fact, students are coming into the classroom with more knowledge on certain topics than teachers. But, that does not mean teachers are going away. Teachers will always be there to provide a way and an example to students. Although the content/subject specific information I teach my students is important, this class has made me more concerned with the life skills/morals I teach my students. It is important for me to teach my students how to collaborate, how to be competitive, and how to research. The more technology experiences a student is exposed to, the more comfortable and knowledge he or she is. The more comfortable and knowledgeable a student is with technology, the more successful he or she will be.




In what ways have you changed your perspective from being teacher-centered to learner-centered?
Before this class I was a teacher. A teacher through and through. I knew what I did in years past and continued to do it. This class really helped me change my perspective in that I am a teacher but I am also a facilitator. If I want to be a 21st century teacher and if I really do want to prepare my students to be successful then I NEED to be a facilitator. My students know how to use Google, if I give my students a question to answer, they know enough search engines to find the answer. What I need to do is facilitate them, teach them which sites are correct and accurate, teach them how to advance their searches, and teach them how to collaborate with their peers to be successful.

In what ways can you continue to expand your knowledge of learning, teaching, and leading with technology with the aim of increasing student achievement?
I believe no one is ever done learning. My knowledge of teaching and technology will continue to grow, thankfully. However, it will take some work on my part. Luckily, I am only about half way through with my degree at Walden University. I plan on expanding my knowledge through my future classes. I also plan on expanding my knowledge through professional development opportunities within my school district. I will attend any and all opportunities of technology-focused conferences offered through our intermediate school district. 

GOALS:
GOAL #1:
Do different things, don’t do things differently

My goal is use my projector in more ways than just a new an improved version of an “overhead projector”. In order to achieve this goal, I hope to use the Apple TVs my school has an sync it with my iPad and use the projector in that way.

GOAL #2:
Provide a variety of final assessments.

My goal is to get away from the original pen and pencil exam. I want to provide a variety of assessments, especially assessments that utilize technology. In order to achieve this goal, I hope to attend a conference or workshop that will assist me in this transition. Another way I plan on achieve this goal is through collaboration with co-workers that already do this.


Checklist Answers:

To be honest, as of right now, I do not know if any of my answers from the week 1 check list would be different. I am a month and a half into the school year and have been following my routine from years past. However, this class has taught more an incredible amount of information that I will implement into my classroom that would cause my answers to change. For example, I now realize the importance of collaboration. I plan on creating and assigning many more group projects. I plan on taking much more of a facilitator role instead of a “teacher” role. Finally, I will work to promote the best practices in technology so that my students have the opportunity to be successful in the future.  

1 comment: